By our count, there are over 100 funeral providers in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). That's a lot of choice for families looking for a funeral home! Fortunately, as at June 2018, InMemory has 86 greater Toronto funeral homes in our database - providing you with the ability to efficiently do your research prior to reaching out to the funeral homes.
With this guide, we have covered 4 different topics as follows:
- Tips on how to use InMemory to compare funeral providers in the GTA.
- Listing of funeral providers in Greater Toronto by suburb
- Review and summary of funeral prices in GTA
- Corporate versus family owned chains
Using InMemory to compare funeral providers
- Determine which one of the four most common types of funeral arrangements most closely meets your requirements
- Utilize InMemory resources to assist you with understanding the cost of funerals and how much a funeral is typically going to cost.
- Find & compare funeral homes in the Greater Toronto Area based on location and service:
Greater Toronto Funeral Homes by Suburb
For those of you who are a little more "list orientated", we have provided a summary below (effective June 2018) of the greater Toronto funeral homes broken out by suburb. (Please let us know if certain funeral homes should appear in a suburb instead of Toronto).
Ajax Funeral Homes
Brampton Funeral Homes
- Andrews Community Funeral Centre - Bramalea Chapel
- Brampton Crematorium & Visitation Centre
- Meadowvale Funeral Centre
- Scott Funeral Home - Brampton Chapel
- Ward Funeral Homes - Brampton Chapel
Brantford Funeral Homes
- Beckett-Glaves Family Funeral Centre
- Hill & Robinson Funeral Home
- McCleister Funeral Homes
- Tranquility Burial and Cremation Service - Brantford
Burlington Funeral Homes
- Bay Gardens Cremation, Memorial Funeral Home
- Cremation Basics - Burlington
- Dodsworth Brown Funeral Home - Burlington Chapel
- Just Cremation and Burial
- Smiths Funeral Homes - Brant Street Chapel
- Smiths Funeral Homes - Guelph Line Chapel
Etobicoke Funeral Homes
- Families Choice Cremation Services
- Glendale Funeral Home and Cemetery
- Turner & Porter - Butler Chapel
Markham Funeral Homes
Milton Funeral Homes
Mississauga Funeral Homes
- Affordable Cremation Options
- Affordable Funeral Services
- Basic Funerals and Cremation Choices
- eco Cremation & Burial Services - Mississauga
- The Simple Alternative - Mississauga
- Skinner & Middlebrook
- The Simple Alternative - Mississauga
- Tranquility Burial and Cremation Service - Mississauga
- Turner & Porter - Peel Chapel
- Turner & Porter & Neweduk-Erin Mills Chapel
Newmarket Funeral Homes
Oakville Funeral Homes
Oshawa Funeral Homes
Pickering Funeral Homes
Richmond Hill Funeral Homes
Scarborough Funeral Homes
- Covenant Funeral Homes - Balmoral Chapel
- Highland Funeral Home - Scarborough Chapel
- McDougall & Brown Funeral Home - Scarborough Chapel
- Paul O'Connor Funeral Home
- Pine Hills Funeral Centre
Toronto Funeral Homes
- A Basic Service
- A. Roy Miller Funeral Chapel
- Affordable Burials and Cremations
- Aftercare Cremation and Burial Service - Toronto
- Bernardo Funeral Homes - Albion Chapel
- Bernardo Funeral Homes - Dufferin Chapel
- Cardinal Funeral Homes - Annette Chapel
- Cardinal Funeral Homes - Bathurst Chapel
- Cremation Basics - Toronto and GTA
- DeMarco Funeral Home (Keele Chapel)
- eco Cremation & Burial Services - Toronto
- G.H. Hogle Funeral Home - Mimico Chapel
- Giffen-Mack Funral Home & Cremation Centre
- Humphrey Funeral Home
- Jerrett Funeral Homes - St Clair
- Lotus Funeral and Cremation Centre
- Lynett Funeral Home
- Morley Bedford Funeral Services
- Mount Pleasant Funeral Centre
- Newediuk Funeral Homes - Etobicoke Chapel
- Ogden Funeral Homes
- R.S. Kane Funeral Home
- Ridley Funeral Home
- Rosar-Morrison Funeral Home and Chapel
- Scott Funeral Home - West Toronto Chapel
- The Cremation Care Centre
- Trull Funeral Home & Cremation Centre
- Turner & Porter - Yorke Chapel
- Vescio Funeral Homes
- Ward Funeral Homes - Weston Chapel
Uxbridge Funeral Homes
Vaughan Funeral Homes
Whitby Funeral Homes
Funeral Prices in Greater Toronto
Funeral prices in Greater Toronto range widely; looking specifically at the professional fees levied by the funeral provider only (i.e. not including such costs as cremation fees, caskets, flowers, cemetery costs etc.), we have the lowest price direct cremation coming in at $505 and the highest price traditional funeral at $8,200. Not particularly helpful, I know!
Fortunately, with pricing information on over 80 funeral establishments in Greater Toronto, we're able to come up with a little more relevant information broken out by the four main types of funerals covered in InMemory.
- Min $ 3,185
- Max $ 8,200
- Min $ 1,960
- Max $ 5,490
- Min $ 2,010
- Max $ 6,495
- Min $ 505
- Max $ 3,530
A few thoughts on corporate versus family owned funeral homes
It will come as a surprise to many Canadians that two corporate chains dominate the Canadian market - and in particular, the larger cities in Canada including Toronto. The larger of the two is Service Chain International ("SCI") - a large public corporation headquartered in the U.S. The other larger player is Arbor Memorial ("Arbor"). Arbor owns funeral homes and cemeteries across Canada only and is headquartered in Toronto.
Of the roughly 600 funeral providers in Ontario, approximately 100 are owned by either SCI or Arbor. Of the 43 providers in Toronto (not including suburbs), 6 (14%) are owned by Arbor, and 9 (21%) are owned by SCI.
Interestingly, neither SCI nor Arbor choose to operate under their corporate brand name, but instead have maintained the legacy names of their funeral homes. It is however easy to figure out if you are dealing with these larger chains as their websites will make clear reference to their corporate ownership; note however that SCI owned homes operate under a "Dignity" handle.
Deciding to work with a multinational / national corporate chain versus family owned homes is a question that families need to answer for themselves. Larger corporate outfits have the advantage of scale which will help to lower their costs; from our research however, they do not consistently pass on these savings to the consumer. With that said, we do not see SCI or Arbor on the absolute high end of pricing either. A benefit from working with a corporate chain is that they will have stronger internal governance / training which should lead to a more consistent, quality experience.
On the other hand, smaller family owned chains may be more variable in the service they provide, but are more connected to their respective communities and have the ability to be more flexible on the services they can offer (as they won't be governed by a corporate policy manual).
It's important to stress though, that there is no right or wrong in what direction you want to take!
Just a reminder, we offer some helpful comments in our Resources page on points you should be aware of before you contact a funeral home.
Thanks for spending some time reviewing our website. As you will note, we just launched in June 2018 and welcome any suggestions on how we could improve the experience for families in need. If you do use InMemory to research different funeral homes, please don't be shy about letting the funeral provider you ultimately decide upon that you found them through InMemory.ca.