I Am Looking For a Funeral Home
Find answers to all the most frequently asked questions about InMemory and our funeral home database service.
We believe bereaved families are uniquely vulnerable, and wish to make it just a little easier for them by providing readily accessible tools and information necessary to make funeral related decisions which will best honour their loved one.
To conduct an instant search of our database, users go through the following process:
- Insert your location, i.e. city, postal code, etc.
- Select which one of the four most common types of funeral services comes closest to meeting your needs. A brief explanation of the different types of funerals is provided at the bottom of InMemory's home page.
- Compare the overall costs, photos, reviews, and whether or not the funeral home has various "badges" which we think can help improve your experience at the funeral home. These badges are the "Confidence" badge, "Non-commissioned Sales" badge and the "Claimed Listing" badge.
- When you have completed your research, you can reach out to the funeral home either by telephone or via email, and they will then respond directly to you.
In the near future, we will be releasing new functionality providing users with the ability to seek customized quotes through InMemory from up to three funeral homes within 48 hours.
We have obtained our indicative pricing information from:
- The funeral homes’ own websites.
- Meeting, telephoning and emailing funeral homes.
- Customers of the funeral home who shared their quote or invoices with us.
We stress that the pricing included in InMemory is indicative only, and should always be confirmed directly with the funeral home. Reasons that pricing may not be 100% accurate include:
- That pricing may be out of date; or
- The availability of package discounts.
By our estimation, we currently have pricing information for over 60% of Canadian funeral homes in the four western provinces and in Ontario. As part of the launch of this website, in the second half of 2018, we will be reaching out to every funeral home for whom we do not have pricing and ask them to provide their general price list to us so that we could include this information on Inmemory.ca. Any funeral home that does not have pricing information included has elected not to provide us with this information.
Should you decide to work with a funeral home which has not provided us with pricing information, please – in the first instance – ask them for their general price list and compare against the costs of funeral homes which are included on this website. Please also feel free to provide us with a copy of the general price list of these funeral homes by addressing your email to email@example.com.
There are two explanations:
- some providers specialize in providing only select services. The most common example here is providers who provide low cost direct cremations only.
- indicative pricing information detailed in a provider's listing is based upon information received the funeral home. If we did not receive sufficient information on a specific service type, we would not include pricing details on this service type. As part of our website launch, however, we will be reaching out to all such providers in the second half of 2018 and giving them the opportunity to provide us with sufficient information to include pricing on all 4 service types.
From our research, InMemory is the only website of its kind in Canada. A number of funeral homes compare the pricing of a small number of competing funeral homes on their websites, but this would be restricted to funeral homes in their city only.
With that said, there are similar funeral cost comparison sites in other countries around the world. Some provide users with the ability to review and distinguish funeral homes based on costs and user reviews. We have the same capability at InMemory. However, we have added two features which are unique to InMemory. We allow funeral homes to distinguish themselves by stating that they do not have commissioned sales staff; we also allow funeral homes to attest that they agree to a set of standards and business practices which highlight their commitment to providing services and merchandise to fit your needs as opposing to maximizing their profits.
Funeral homes which want to promote that they do not have commissioned sales staff will be flagged with a "Non Commissioned Sales" badge; funeral homes which have agreed to the above referenced set of business practices, will have a "Confidence" badge.
The Confidence Badge is a set of statements agreed to by funeral homes which we believe will help to ensure that a bereaved family will only be provided with services that they need and to be made aware of opportunities to lower costs as appropriate.
In agreeing to the Confidence Badge practices and standards, participating funeral homes agree to the following statements:
- We are committed to providing you with information on our goods / services and corresponding pricing which will make it possible for you to choose only those goods and services you want, and to pay only for those you select. We will accomplish this by providing you (the consumer) with:
- Pricing information via telephone or via email – without requiring you to first visit our funeral home.
- A written, itemized price list when you visit a funeral home. This lists all the items and services the home offers, and the cost of each one.
- A written casket price list before you see the actual caskets. (This will allow you to ask about lower-priced products that may not be on display.)
- A written outer burial container price list before you see the actual outer burial containers. (This is only applicable if the funeral home sells outer burial containers.)
- A written statement after you decide what you want, and before you pay. It should show exactly what you are buying and the cost of each item. We will also endeavour to provide you with information on likely additional services / costs which have not been included so that you have an idea of total costs.
- We are committed to working together with you to manage the costs of your loved one’s funeral. We will help you achieve this by allowing you, the consumer, to:
- Make funeral arrangements without requiring embalming. (With that said, funeral homes will strongly encourage embalming if there is a public viewing, or if a burial / cremation does not take place within a certain period of time.)
- Use an “alternative container” instead of a casket for cremation. (These might be made of unfinished wood, pressed wood, fiberboard, or cardboard.)
- Provide the funeral home with a casket, urn, flowers etc. which you buy from a third party. We will not require you to be present when the merchandise is delivered to our premises. If we charge a fee for accepting third party merchandise, we will make it known to you at the outset.
I Am From a Funeral Home
There are several reasons:
- The trend to find and purchase products and services online continues throughout business in general. This is now increasingly the case with funerals and related merchandise. A survey conducted in Australia revealed that over 70% of families searching for funeral homes started their search online.
- More and more Canadian funeral homes are posting their pricing online. For example, our own assessment of funeral homes from Ontario and the four western provinces revealed that almost 15% of funeral service establishments provided their pricing online.
- If you do not have your pricing online (on your own website and/or on InMemory.ca), and your competitors do, families searching for a funeral provider may come to the conclusion that you are not open with your pricing because you are more expensive.
- Providing transparency up front on pricing will allow you to reduce time on the pricing discussion and spend more time on having meaningful discussions with families on how they can best honour their loved ones.
- In Canada, there are two large funeral chains which dominate the market: in the four western provinces and in Ontario, these two largest chains represent over 15% of the market. In the larger urban areas, these two chains often exceed 50% of the market. These larger chains have substantially larger budgets for marketing, online search engine optimization and content management. However, by working together with InMemory, smaller funeral homes can help to address this imbalance in a meaningful way.
Indicative pricing information provided in your listing is based upon information received from your funeral home. If we did not receive information on a specific service type, or we did not receive sufficient information on a service type, we would not include pricing details on this service type. You are of course welcome to provide details of the missing pricing to us directly, or by claiming and updating the pricing on your listing.
A funeral home claims their listing by reviewing the information that is attached to that listing and confirming that it is accurate. If anything is inaccurate, the funeral home has the ability to correct the information online or alternatively, they can send an email with the required changes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A funeral home that is not currently listed on InMemory has the ability to create its own listing through the website; such listing will appear as "claimed". Alternatively, a new funeral home can email its price list to email@example.com and we will notify you once a listing has been created. You would then have to complete the process by claiming your listing.
Claiming your funeral home’s listing has the following benefits:
- It ensures that your contact details and pricing is accurate.
- It provides you with the opportunity to provide one picture of your funeral home which will replace the current stock image or street view image that exists for all unclaimed funeral homes.
- You will also have the opportunity to provide a brief summary of “Who you are” – a section which will otherwise be blank or have bare minimum information extracted from your website, e.g. name of owners, year established, area serviced etc.
- Note that a claimed basic listing comes at no cost to the funeral home.
A claimed listing ultimately will help increase users’ confidence in your listing, result in more visits to your home, and hopefully more business for you.
Premium, featured listings help funeral homes stand out from basic listing – ultimately helping to drive more online traffic and corresponding opportunities. This is achieved via the following:
- Featured listings are listed at the top of all search requests. (With more than 660 funeral homes in our database, searches in larger cities will reveal a large number of funeral homes; studies show that consumers will often only focus on the first or second page of results).
- When a consumer selects a basic listing to research, featured funeral homes in the same vicinity will appear on the basic listing page under the title "Nearby featured funeral home".
- Opportunity to add additional pictures distinguishing your funeral home from a basic listing - which are allowed a maximum of one picture only. (Note that unclaimed listings will have the same stock image or a street view image only).
- Featured listing badge
- Upon launch of the “Request a quote” feature within InMemory.ca, Featured Listings and Claimed Listing with the "Confidence" badge will be given priority to quote on such qualified opportunities over other listings.
For a more detailed assessment of the difference between a basic and a featured listing, please click here.
Funeral homes will be designated with a Confidence Badge by:
- Validating the information in their basic listing.
- Agreeing to the Confidence Badge standards and practices. (Click here for more information.)
- Important note: funeral homes are not required to upgrade to a premium listing in order to obtain a Confidence Badge.
To initiate the process of validating your listing and/or obtaining a Confidence Badge, please click here.